Welcome to Appy Astros, a blog dedicated to following current & former Greeneville Astros, the Appalachian League affiliate of the Houston Astros. Here you will find reports on current G-Stros, updates on the development of former G-Stros and occasionally an update on what has happened to the guys who have hung up their spikes.

Thursday, April 18, 2013

Roberto Pena Featured In QC Paper

Okay, I must have been living under a rock but I learned something today while reading the Quad Cities Times feature on former G-Stro and current Quad-Cities Bandit, Roberto Pena.  I had no idea that his dad was Bert Pena who played in 88 games for the Astros from 1981 to 1987. 

Aside from that piece of information there were other nice nuggets in the piece.  Here are a few of those nuggets.  You can go here to read the full story.

On his childhood in Puerto Rico
“I grew up with a baseball in my hand," Pena said. “I learned most of the game from my dad. He was a shortstop, so I was a shortstop. Every day in Puerto Rico, we would play. We would go and watch Winter League games, then we would play. I always thought I would be a shortstop."
 On what he is working on.
“My hitting and the approach is something I work on every day," said Pena, who has hit .227 over his first three seasons in the Astros organization....“I am comfortable with my receiving, but I need to get better with my hitting and I feel like I am headed in the right direction. My dad would tell me this game is about adjusting and getting better and that is what I am trying to do."

No comments:

Post a Comment