Welcome to Appy Astros, a blog dedicated to following current & former Greeneville Astros, the Appalachian League affiliate of the Houston Astros. Here you will find reports on current G-Stros, updates on the development of former G-Stros and occasionally an update on what has happened to the guys who have hung up their spikes.

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Two Former G-Stros Are Home Run Derby Champs

Last night was the All Star games for the A ball teams. Both Chris Wallace (Low A Lexington) and Kody Hinze (High A Lancaster) won their All Star Game Home Run Derby.

Wallace, who started his pro career in Greeneville last season, knocked 20 long balls over the fence to claim the South Atlantic League trophy. Here is what he said to the local paper after the victory.

"It was fun," said Wallace, who was drafted by the Houston Astros in the 16th round of the 2010 first-year player draft. "I got in a little bit of a groove that continued from my first round. I don't know what happened; something got in to me the last two rounds. I was just having a lot of fun out there."..."I just felt good," Wallace said. "I felt good in batting practice today, and the guy throwing the ball was really just hanging them in there. I really need to thank him for grooving some balls in there for me."


Wallace picked up a $500 along with his trophy (pictured in link).

Meanwhile, at the California League vs. Carolina League All Star event, Kody Hinze hit 5 of his 10 dingers in the final round to win that All Star Home Run Derby.

No comments:

Post a Comment