Welcome to Appy Astros, a blog dedicated to following current & former Greeneville Astros, the Appalachian League affiliate of the Houston Astros. Here you will find reports on current G-Stros, updates on the development of former G-Stros and occasionally an update on what has happened to the guys who have hung up their spikes.

Friday, May 31, 2013

Lance McCullers Talks About Getting First Pro Win

The Quad Cities paper continues to put out good features on current River Bandits.  The most recent was on former Greeneville Astro Lance McCullers.  They talked to McCullers the day after he earned his first professional win.  Here are some of the highlights from the interview:
“It’s good to have one. Now I’ll try to get another," McCullers said. “It’s been a little different. I’ve had nights where I felt like I’ve pitched well enough to get one and didn’t. And I’ve had a lot of nights where I haven’t gotten the win, but the team did and that’s really what matters to me."
Manager Omar Lopez on McCullers
“He competes," Lopez said. “I like the way he goes about his business, his work ethic. He understands that the work he puts in now will only help him later on."
On the adjustment from high school ball to pro ball:
“I learned to understand this as a team game, much more so than it was in high school," McCullers said. “All of the guys here are getting paid to compete, and even when you don’t have your best, you still have to find ways to get outs.
"I learned to adjust on that night when I wasn’t going to strike nine guys out. I learned to not think about an at-bat when it was over, that you have to move on."

No comments:

Post a Comment