Welcome to Appy Astros, a blog dedicated to following current & former Greeneville Astros, the Appalachian League affiliate of the Houston Astros. Here you will find reports on current G-Stros, updates on the development of former G-Stros and occasionally an update on what has happened to the guys who have hung up their spikes.

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Nash Reports To Camp 30 Pounds Lighter

Earlier today, Brian McTaggart of Astros.com, in addition to talking about Delino DeShields chance to start in a Spring Training game and J.D. Martinez trying right field on for size; told us that Telvin Nash reported for Minor League Camp early and in much better shape than last year.  Apparently the Astros talked to Nash about his conditioning at the end of last season and he took it seriously reported 30 lbs. lighter at 230lbs. 
"I just feel all around much better," he said. "I feel faster at first base and in the outfield when I track balls down. If I'm holding a runner, I can get off the base and make a routine play. ... In the past, a ground ball was hit right at me and it was kind of tough. I made it look much more difficult than it really was. I feel much more explosive, I'm in shape and I'm healthier, too."
This is an important season for Nash who had fallen off the prospect list radar this off season.  Reporting in shape is a good first step.  The next steps are to show on the field he worked hard on his fielding and his contact rate at the plate.

No comments:

Post a Comment