I started following minor league baseball when the G-Stros came to town in 2004. So that class has always been one of my favorites. I spent some time over the last few days researching what happened to the Baseball American Appy League Top 20 from 2004. Below are the results.
Here are some observations:
- 36 players who played in the Appy in 2004 have played in the major leagues. Only eight of those are on this list. In fairness, some of the 28 players not on the list might not have spent enough time in the league to be listed.
- Four players never made it to AA. Seven players never made it to AAA.
- Only one player who hasn't made it to the majors is still in affiliated ball (Jordan Parraz).
- Gio Gonzalez is the player with the most success. After that, it is mostly relievers and role players.
- Players develop, injury and teams need to promote can impact MLB debut date.
- Injuries and off field issues derailed several of these prospects.