Welcome to Appy Astros, a blog dedicated to following current & former Greeneville Astros, the Appalachian League affiliate of the Houston Astros. Here you will find reports on current G-Stros, updates on the development of former G-Stros and occasionally an update on what has happened to the guys who have hung up their spikes.

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Beau Torbert Honored By Baseball America

Beau Torbert (Greeneville Astro 2004), won his second American Association MVP title this season. His near miss at hitting .400 for the season earned him the Baseball America's Independent League Player of the Year Honors.

In the article, Beau says he has relaxed more since he was released from the Astros organization in 2007.
"Before I was let go by Houston I put a lot of stress on myself to perform," Torbert said. "When I got to independent ball, I took a mindset that I'm in indy ball now, I can get back to basic baseball and having fun. Ever since I took that approach I try to not let too much good stuff or bad stuff go to my head."

His manager in Sioux Falls had this to say about Beau:
"The thing with Beau that has to be maddening for the opposition is that he'll hit anything," Shirley said. "He's a very difficult guy to pitch to.

"He understands his role is to drive in runs. He'll expand his strike zone because he knows he's up there to drive in a run. I know there are times in the other dugout where they had to wonder how he hit that, because we're wondering it. And he didn't just hit it but rocketed it off the scoreboard."


As for next seasons plans, as the article points out
After all, if .394-24-100 won't get him a contract with an affiliated team, it's hard to see what he can do to change scouts' minds next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment