Welcome to Appy Astros, a blog dedicated to following current & former Greeneville Astros, the Appalachian League affiliate of the Houston Astros. Here you will find reports on current G-Stros, updates on the development of former G-Stros and occasionally an update on what has happened to the guys who have hung up their spikes.

Thursday, October 28, 2010

Beau on The Braves, Barnes Plays More & Winter Ball Stats

Beau Torbert was interviewed by the Columbus (Ga) Ledger Enquirer about his recent minor league free agent contract with the Braves.
“This is my last shot,” he said. “Because of my age and not wanting to really go back to indy league, I was thinking I would just move on. But this is one more, one last shot, and I’m going to do everything I can to take full advantage of it.”


He doesn't report any love loss for the Astros org who he says didn't give him a reason for his release. Beau is realistic about his chances to make the Mississippi Braves (AA) or Gwinnett Braves (AAA) rosters.

“It’s always a numbers game,” Torbert said. “It’s hard once you’re an independent league guy. They’ve got their guys they drafted. It’s tough because you’re always on the back burner.”...“I feel like (with the Braves) I’m getting a legitimate shot,” he said. “The outfield is a spot they’re hurting. I’m just going to keep working hard and give this my full concentration and prove I can play.”


Houston Chronicle Baseball writer Zachary Levine confirms what many of us had suspected, Brandon Barnes is off the taxi squad and playing more because Jack Shuck has a bum knee. Brandon is hitting .267 with just one extra base hit in his first 8 games.

I was going to try to find a way to keep you up to date with winter ball stats of the Greeneville Astros Alums. MLB has made it simpler than I ever could have. They have a page devoted to each MLB team that list the stats for any players in their organization playing winter ball. Here is the Astros link. There are a few guys who are with other organizations like Santo Luis or those out of affiliated ball that I will give updates on from time to time.

No comments:

Post a Comment