Welcome to Appy Astros, a blog dedicated to following current & former Greeneville Astros, the Appalachian League affiliate of the Houston Astros. Here you will find reports on current G-Stros, updates on the development of former G-Stros and occasionally an update on what has happened to the guys who have hung up their spikes.

Thursday, July 4, 2013

Velasquez Dominating in Quad Cities

Vincent Velasquez was drafted in the second round in 2010.  He had a solid start to his pro career in Greeneville.  But as his pitch count was building, he suffered an injury that would cause him to miss the entire 2011 season.  This caused him to fall off of some people's radar as a prospect. He is trying to fix that this season.  After his performance last night, he now has 93 strike outs in 81 innings pitched.  That number leads the Midwest League.

The Quad City Times published a feature on Velasquez this morning that gives us some insight into this rising prospect. Here are some of the highlights:

What shapes his approach on the mound.
The bulldog-like approach he carries with him comes naturally.
“It’s in my genes,’’ Velasquez said. “My father was a Marine and I have two brothers who are Marines. We all like to compete and that’s part of who I am. I like the challenge.’’
His view of the surgery.
“The setback and surgery I had tested me mentally as much as anything and I’m determined to work my way beyond it and have a successful career,’’ Velaquez said. “There are no worries with it now. I have work to do, but I’ll keep at it every time I go out and compete.’’
What his manager has to say about him.
“He’s making progress  and in his first full season after Tommy John, competing for the full season is an important step for him,’’ River Bandits manager Omar Lopez said. “He’s making progress, started hot, has made a few adjustments in his pitch sequence and fastball command and seems to be on the right track again.’’

No comments:

Post a Comment