Welcome to Appy Astros, a blog dedicated to following current & former Greeneville Astros, the Appalachian League affiliate of the Houston Astros. Here you will find reports on current G-Stros, updates on the development of former G-Stros and occasionally an update on what has happened to the guys who have hung up their spikes.

Monday, February 27, 2012

Former G-Stro Patton Working To Make O's Pen

Former 2004 Greeneville Astro, Troy Patton is in the Baltimore Orioles spring training working on making the team out of spring training for the first time in his career.  Roch Kubatko of MASN details his resume from last season:
Patton is out of options, so the Orioles will have to pass him through waivers if they want to send him down. He earned Showalter's trust last season and went 2-1 with a 3.00 ERA in 20 appearances. He posted a 2.39 ERA in his last 18 games.
Patton was 2-0 with a 2.88 ERA in 15 appearances against the American League East that covered 25 innings. He walked five and struck out 22 in 30 innings last season. His ERA was 0.77 in eight September outings. Right-handers batted .186 against him in 2011. He didn't allow an extra-base hit to a left-handed batter in 56 plate appearances.
Patton tells him about his adjustment to life in the pen:
"It's just getting loose," he said. "I'm used to it, I'm accustomed to it. I think I'm ready to fill any spot that they need me to. I can be a short guy and I can be a long guy if that's better. Whatever ends up working out between where players fall and whatever happens with the starting rotation, because that's obviously going to be a real surprise, whatever happens, because we've got nine guys competing. So, I'll wait until those chips fall where they may and see where I end up."

No comments:

Post a Comment